Sunday, May 24, 2026
English edition
News Katha News Katha

Har Khabar Ek Kahani

World

Pair arrested after boys abandoned by road in Portugal

May 22, 2026 International Source: BBC World

Pair arrested after boys abandoned by road in Portugal
The children were carrying backpacks with food and water but no identity documents when they were found by a driver. Mother arrested after boys abandoned by road in Portugal Copyright current_year BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking. Copyright current_year BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking. The children were found by a driver on a road near the town of Alcacer do Sal A row of houses by a river, with green trees above Pair arrested after boys abandoned by road in Portugal A man and a woman reported by local media to be the mother and stepfather of two young French boys found alone and in tears by the side of a road in southern Portugal have been arrested. The children - both under five - were found by a driver near the town of Alcacer do Sal on Tuesday, police said. They were carrying backpacks with food and water but no identity documents. The boys' father had reported them missing from their home in Colmar in eastern France on 11 May and France had issued a pan-European request for help. Police in Portugal and France have opened inquiries and said they had not reached any conclusions at this stage. Local media reports said the couple were arrested after their car was spotted outside a café in the city of Fatima, about 180km (112 miles) north of Alcacer do Sal. Portugal's National Republican Guard said its officers arrested a 41-year-old woman and man aged 55. They have not formally identified the arrested pair. They said the couple were being investigated for the crimes of domestic violence, exposure to danger, and abandonment. The driver who found the boys said he fed them before alerting the police. Cristiano Ronaldo is set to play in a record sixth World Cup after being selected in Portugal's provisional squad for this summer's tournament. Reports had suggested the countries were set to follow the example of Greece, which effectively suspended biometric checks for UK nationals. The case first emerged last year, involving allegations of torture, rape and abuse of power. The companies were found guilty by a French court over an air disaster which killed 228 people. France and Italy are among the countries that have criticised a video showing Itamar Ben-Gvir taunting dozens of activists detained at an Israeli port. Among Bruel's latest accusers is well-known TV and radio presenter Flavie Flament, who alleges he raped her in 1991. The 66-year-old handed himself in after an influencer used AI to pose as a 14-year-old girl and broadcast their conversation online. Prosecutors in Nantes say the shooting was drug-related, but the victim's aunt says he was not involved.